Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What is Anxiety?

To start off my blog a little definition on anxiety from dictionary.com.

anx⋅i⋅e⋅ty

1. distress or uneasiness of mind caused by fear of danger or misfortune: He felt anxiety about the possible loss of his job.
2. earnest but tense desire; eagerness: He had a keen anxiety to succeed in his work.
3. Psychiatry. a state of apprehension and psychic tension occurring in some forms of mental disorder.


Synonyms:
1. fear, foreboding; worry, disquiet. See apprehension.

Antonyms:
1. certainty, serenity, tranquillity.

I think for most of us anxiety hits at some time or another. I look at my family and realize that it hits people in my family quite a bit, especially women. I hate to use this word because I think it's over used and when people don't want to take blame they call things generational curses. Then I thought about it a bit more and really if something was going to convince me that there are generational curses this anxiety would be it. This is something that can cause women in my family to not be able to do things that they would normally love to do. Worry fills their hearts and without really understanding why, they are helpless. I was talking to Darrel about my anxiety and what was helping. The more I pray about it and the more I read my Bible and see what God has to say about it the better I feel. I have to say though this hasn't been the easiest thing for me to do. When I am having a hard time my first response is not to go to God. Isn't that just crazy? Someone who has saved my life over and over again, and I just don't think He can help me. That is one of my big problems...Thinking I can do is all on my own. It takes effort for me to pray to God when I don't feel good, but boy when I take the effort to get on my knees the end result is amazing! I have peace that passes all understanding! I have a God who can do all things! Isn't He amazing?


1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah (and family),
    Thanks for checking out my blog.
    I've seen yours in the past, but haven't visited in a while.
    I know what you mean (at least a little) about anxiety. We had a miscarriage a year ago, and I've struggled through this pregnancy with trust. Who knew trusting an all-powerful, loving God could be so difficult!?!
    Yet, you are so right, we have a God who can do all things and gives us strength (Isa. 40:28-31).
    Anyway, didn't mean to preach, and ignore anything I said that may come across wrong or presumptive. I'll pray for times of prayer and fellowship with God for you.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.